Re: [RFC] Consequences for official CD/DVD images for Lenny

On Tuesday 30 December 2008, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 09:11:20AM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> > The regular powerpc DVD will switch from GNOME-based to all-desktop.
> > The only thing missing is offering boot options to select different
> > desktop environments as we'll now do for x86, but that could possibly
> > be implemented by someone more familiar with powerpc than I am.
>
> I'm willing to have a look at that, at least for the yaboot part. Can
> you give me some reasonable pointers as to where the source is and what
> needs to be done?

Basic boot loader configuration _may_ be prepared by D-I and passed on to
debian-cd as part of the image/files generated by the build_cdrom target.
See installer/build/boot/ in D-I SVN.

That is then further manipulated by debian-cd using the "make CD bootable"
scripts based on the value of the DESKTOP envvar.
See utils/boot/lenny/ in debian-cd SVN.

That's how x86 works, but no idea if powerpc is the same.

I cannot comment very much on what needs to happen as that very much
depends on what the bootloader supports. But essentially you have to
create options for the user to choose from based on which desktop
environments are available and add the correct desktop=XXX boot
parameter.
Main challenge is that the total number of permutations explodes as you
also have "regular", "expert", "auto" and 32-bit versus 64-bit to
support, so you'll have to find a way to keep it organized.

See the patch series [1] I recently committed to debian-cd for x86 for
inspiration, especially 4 and 5.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-cd/2008/12/
    Note that the final commits were slightly different from the mails.