Re: [RFC] Consequences for official CD/DVD images for Lenny

On Dec 30, 2008, at 6:52 AM, Frans Pop wrote:

On Tuesday 30 December 2008, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 09:11:20AM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
The regular powerpc DVD will switch from GNOME-based to all-desktop.
The only thing missing is offering boot options to select different
desktop environments as we'll now do for x86,

Given that all the necessary packages will be available on the DVD, doesn't it make more sense to do the selection in tasksel, rather than at boot-time? It would certainly be more convenient for the user. IMHO, doing it at boot time violates the principle of least astonishment.

As I understand it, the original argument for doing it at boot time was that you couldn't fit all the options onto a single CD, so you had to segregate them into one CD per desktop type, so the decision really had to be pushed back even further than boot-time -- it was already made at CD creation time. This makes sense in the CD context (except for those who had good Internet connectivity and could get whatever they needed from a friendly neighborhood mirror site).

But if you can fit all the desktops into a DVD, that argument is moot.

Or am I missing something?

Rick