nano doesn't work in shell launched from D-I menu

I wanted to make some small tweaks to the setup before rebooting at the end of the install so I could run the system using qemu in nographic mode after installing it using the graphical mode.

So I backed out to the menu and selected the option to launch a shell, chrooted into the target and tried to use nano. I was surprised to find this failed with the error message "Error opening terminal: bterm".

Is this a known issue? or should I file a bug report (and if the latter against what?)