Re: [patch] Add support for Kurobox Pro to Debian Installer

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 04:49:12PM +0200, Per Andersson wrote:
> >> No, it works. Earlier I wrote d-i kernel and ramdisk directly to
> >> flash partitions and load them. It works but destroys the
> >> original firmware.
> >
> > Why?  Can't a path for a specific kernel be specified to uBoot?
>
> AFAIK not when loaded from flash. When you load binary
> files from flash you use nboot, which works like this
>
> nboot addr mtdblock offset
>
> addr, is where to load the file (into memory),
> mtdblock, which block to read from,
> offset, how much to skip before starting read.

Would there be a way for the kuroboxpro-flash-debian script to determine
the offset in the mtdblock where the installer image would have been
written to?

> This would still work, a critical assumption, that I forgot to
> mention, is that /dev/sda1 has to be mounted as /boot.
>
> So with your use case you would just boot the device,
> login backup current kernel and ramdisk in /boot. Put d-i
> images in /boot, reboot, et voilá, you are in d-i with your
> system intact (or broken, due to the use case).

Great! :)

> > It might not be the best use case, as what I would actually prefer would
> > be to be able to install the root filesystem on the mtdblock, but it
> > sounds like an acceptable one as well.
>
> I agree. It is not possible to install to MTD because of
> parted/partman limitations (lacks MTD support).
>
> I plan to work on this after summer.

I would really like to have a look as well.  I should (finally) be
receiving the needed serial converters by next week…

Cheers,
--
Jérémy Bobbio                        .''`.
lunar@debian.org                    : :Ⓐ  :  # apt-get install anarchism