Re: [patch] Add support for Kurobox Pro to Debian Installer

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 3:58 PM, Jérémy Bobbio <lunar@debian.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 03:44:19PM +0200, Per Andersson wrote:
>> In short the installation on Kurobox Pro would be:
>> 1) Build d-i
>> 2) Format /dev/sda1 on Kurobox Pro with ext2
>> 3) Put d-i images on /dev/sda1
>
> Why did you choose this procedure exactly?

Because changes have to be made to the the uboot
environment so kernel and ramdisk can be loaded from
disk after installation. Because there is no way to change
the uboot env during installation this is done before.

This means that after running the flash-debian script uboot
loads kernel and ramdisk from disk.

> As far as I have seen, a KuroBox Pro has, out of the box, a writable
> filesystem in one of the mtdblock that is used as the system root.
> IIRC, there is enough room on this filesystem to store a standard d-i
> kernel and initrd.
>
> Is there anything that prevent such scheme to work?  I would find the
> process easier than eventually having to wipe an already existing
> hard drive to store the d-i images.

No, it works. Earlier I wrote d-i kernel and ramdisk directly to
flash partitions and load them. It works but destroys the
original firmware. Even though having a disk inside the
Kurobox Pro makes it impossible to boot the original
firmware without a serial console, it can be a good thing to
keep it.

-- Per