Re: Selection of kernel for Lenny

On Tue, Jul 08, 2008 at 12:43:49PM +0000, maximilian attems wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 08, 2008 at 12:56:50PM +0200, Pierre Habouzit wrote:

> > > please read the changelog trunk on all the 2.6.26 fixes.
> >
> >   Huh, that's not really our work, you as the maintainer should help us
> > understand why we would like to deal with 3 months of FTBFS *right now*.
> > Not to mention the libata changes fjp talks about, that would probably
> > break many upgrades and for which there is no known solution.
>
> right so the 2.6.26 summary:
> * closes 50 bugs on upload (mostly 2.6.25 regressions)

  I'm really afraid with the number of bugs it'll open though.

> * has upstream coordination with xen and openvz

  Does this mean that dom0 will work with .26 ? If yes, then maybe .26
is really worth considering. If not, this is quite moot.

> * is the first version with kernel debugger
> * much better laptop support (wireless, uvc,..)
> * kvm ported to IA64, PPC and S390

> > > we have allways stated that .26 will be the release kernel.
> >
> >   The sole mail from the kernel team that I can find is[0]. We've seen
> > no updates from you since AFAICT. Given the content of the mail, and its
> > age, I don't see how we can know that.
>
> right to debian-release that was the last time we got asked to give a
> statement. in discussion on d-kernel and with d-boot we allways stated
> to work on 2.6.26 for Lenny.

  Well, we did asked for updates from core teams in our mails to d-d-a
numerous times without our prior nagging, which was clearly meant to
avoid this kind of communication issues.

  For the rest I assume the release team will have to discuss things a
bit further.

> >   [1] e.g. have you done full scale archive rebuilds to show that a new
> >       linux-libc-dev won't at least cause dozens of FTBFS like the
> >       2.6.25 did ?
>
> there are statements from waldi and vorlon to consider the 2.6.25
> linux-libc-dev status as frozen.

  Well, that's a sine qua non condition. L-L-Dev breakages are horrible,
and we just cannot aford one. It does not mean that I consider .26 to be
a clever idea right now, but a l-l-d breakage would be a plain no-go.
--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit