Re: Selection of kernel for Lenny

Frans Pop a écrit :
> Se IMO we should take a real good look at .25 and .26 and check what's
> new, what's important for Lenny and what's risky, and maybe check if some
> things we do want could be backported.

As the release team is Cc:ed, I just want to make sure it is aware that
switching to 2.6.26 possibly means changes to userland, and thus freeze
exceptions. A few examples:

- The switch to linux-libc-dev 2.6.25 has caused a lot of FTBFS due to
removed headers. Change have been needed in various packages including
glibc.
- The switch to linux-libc-dev 2.6.25 is the reason why glibc currently
FTBFS on hppa (due to a timeout in a test). Unfortunately I don't know
yet which change causes the problem, I am down to a 600 lines diff.
- I have recently uploaded a new version of lm-sensors needed to support
2.6.26 kernels.

That said I neither opposed nor in favor of a switch to 2.6.26, I just
want to emphasize that it can have a bigger impact than expected on the
release planning.