Re: Which new modules to include in 2.6.25 udebs

Jérémy Bobbio wrote:
On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:20:37PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
I included virtio too, because, well, why not ;-)
Because we're _always_ trying to save on memory usage. If something
does not have a definite function in the context of the installer:
don't include it.
Well, I guess the installer could be used under KVM as well, which is
what the virtio drivers target (I'm pretty sure, don't use it
myself...). Although since kvm is fully virtualised by default I guess
you can install using emulated devices and switch to virtio afterwards
-- it'll just mean performance is worse while installing and is an
extra step admins have to go through.
Sounds like that is only useful if someone codes detection of a KVM environment into the installer and we can somehow disable use of the emulated devices and use virtio instead. Until someone steps up to do that I'd suggest to leave the module out. Especially as I've recently seen comments about how nice using KVM is to test installs...

I have not done any testing myself, but from what I have understood,
hosts exposes totally different devices to the system (= different PCI
IDs) when told to use virtio.

The only support needed in d-i would be to handle /dev/vd* devices, the
module itself would be loaded automatically.
Even without virtio block driver support /dev/vd*, the virtio nic should work out of the box I think. See an debian example at http://kvm.qumranet.com/kvmwiki/Using_VirtIO_NIC for some numbers. That case uses virtio block devices also but thats not necessary. But if all the virtio modules is added we can test what doesnt work and fix it.

I very much welcome the addition of virtio modules, even if it's in a
special module udeb, as the speed-ups should be significant when testing
installations in qemu/kvm and probably future releases of virtualbox.
Yep, me to.

regards
//Peter

--