Re: Which new modules to include in 2.6.25 udebs

On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 20:19 +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> > > "Virtio block driver": not needed:

> > > "Xen virtual block device support": not needed
> > [...]
> > > Not useful
> >
> > I have patches to make the installer work well as a Xen guest so those
> > drivers are needed.
>
> Does that also go for the 486 kernel flavor or only for 686-bigmem
> (if/when we add that)?

The 486 flavour doesn't have CONFIG_XEN enabled and in fact upstream
recently removed non-PAE 32 bit support from the hypervisor so no need
there.

> What about amd64?

Eventually, yes, although the 64 bit kernel doesn't support Xen yet.

> Should those go in the regular udebs or in one or more separate "xen
> udebs"?

When I added them locally I stuck the disk driver in the scsi-modules
udeb (a bit arbitrarily) and the net one in nic-modules.

>  Depends on how/when they are used.

There are needed in the same places as you would need any other network
or disk driver -- so in the netboot image for net and available prior to
disk detections for the second etc.

> > I included virtio too, because, well, why not ;-)
>
> Because we're _always_ trying to save on memory usage. If something does
> not have a definite function in the context of the installer: don't
> include it.

Well, I guess the installer could be used under KVM as well, which is
what the virtio drivers target (I'm pretty sure, don't use it
myself...). Although since kvm is fully virtualised by default I guess
you can install using emulated devices and switch to virtio afterwards
-- it'll just mean performance is worse while installing and is an extra
step admins have to go through.

Cheers,
Ian.
--
Ian Campbell

  Some bird populations soaring down
	-Headline of an article in
	 Science News, page 126, February 20, 1993.