Re: mirror and language selection not working together well

On Monday 09 June 2008, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> A few weeks ago something changed regarding the way the country is
> chosen.  Right now, the mirror and language selection don't work
> together very well: I tell the mirror selection tool which country I
> live in, but the country/language selection tool doesn't default to
> that country.
>
> When I go through d-i, this is what happens:
>
> Choose a mirror of the Debian archive
>  - Austria
> Choose language (Choose a continent or region): Africa, Antartica, etc
>  - Europe
> Choose language (Choose a country, territory or area): Albania,
> Andorra, etc - Austria
>
> Why is Africa the country rather than Europe (1st language question),
> and Albania rather than Austria (2nd language question)?  It would be
> nice to figure out based on the mirror which contintent/country I
> might be in.

AFAIK localechooser has never taken defaults from mirror selection as they
are normally run the other way around, so there is no regression.

There are only a few installation images where localechooser is "forcibly"
run later. Now that localechooser consistently uses country codes instead
of country names, setting a default based on mirror selection is in
theory possible but I can't say that implementing this is high on my
current priority list and there are some caveats that should be
considered.

Here's what I can think of right now:
- manual entry of a local mirror
- when FTP is selected (no mirror list), the mirror country will still
  be set (default value for language - frequently not set correctly)
- a lot of countries don't have mirrors, so in those cases you'd end up
  with a default that's probably somewhat nearby, but not correct
- in case where the language is also selected, the default country for
  the language may well be better than the value chosen for a mirror

Feel free to file a wishlist BR against localechooser for adding this new
support.

Cheers,
FJP