Re: Debian installer and braille

Hello,

Frans Pop, le Sat 31 May 2008 12:52:10 +0200, a écrit :
> I have made some changes to the wiki page (some formatting, some
> clarifications).

Thanks!

> Main change is that you had "text mode", while the actual limitation
> is "newt frontend without framebuffer" (text mode could be confused
> with the text frontend).

Agreed.

> Do braille devices in general not support accented characters or is that
> just this brltty window?

It's just this particular setup: qemu only gets the braille dots from
brltty, and these are correct (you need a braille font to see that,
DejaVu has it). Then it converts letters a-z and some punctuation to
text, for sighted users' conveniency, but it cannot do the same for
accented letters reliably, since that part depends on the braille table
which the user has chosen.

In short: it's normal that in this particular setup you get '?'. You
can however check that accented letters are correct by looking at the
braille patterns below.  Maybe that information can be added to the wiki
too.

Thanks,
Samuel