Re: nslu2 kernel upgrade fails without initramfs-tools

On Sunday 20 April 2008, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Tim Froidcoeur <tim.froidcoeur@googlemail.com> [2008-04-20 20:45]:
> > I struggled with upgrading the debian kernel on nslu2 until I finally
> > figured out that i needed to have initramfs-tools installed.
> > Without those, the system was left unbootable after a kernel image
> > upgrade and I always had to reflash using an older kernel and upslug2.

Note that yaird is not likely to be included in Lenny anyway. Last I know is
that there is hardly any upstream development and for that reason it has
been removed from testing some time ago.

initramfs-tools is very much the preferred utility for initrd generation.

> The installer installs initramfs-tools on the nslu2, so I'm not sure
> why it's not installed on your machine.

Well, unless prevented from doing so by dependencies, users are able to
switch after the installation :-)

Also, when installing in expert mode, the installer does offer the choice.
Only if both are available of course, so not anymore when installing Lenny.

> However, it probably makes sense to add a depends to flash-kernel.
> I'll do that, thanks.

As flash-kernel seems to rely on an initramfs hook script this does indeed
seem like a bug.

Cheers,
FJP