Re: Network failure on install/boot, hardware or kernel version

Op 15-04-2008 om 17:57 schreef "Holger Schmithüsen":
> Dear Debian Team!
>
> I encountered a vital problem with my network card while installing
> debian 4.0r1 (kernel 2.6.18-5-486) from CD-ROM on an old Pentium
> system. As I believe, this might be a bug, but I'm not sure.
>
> I tried to install the system in expert mode while being physically
> connected to my LAN. All steps until "Detect network hardware"
> went OK. On "Configure the network" the installation stopped
> unexpectedly. When I selected "no DHCP" I was left with a blue screen
> after confirming the summary of IP, DNS, and so on. This bluesceen
> wouldn't disappear for hours and there was no other way then pushing
> the power button. Next try of installation I selected "use DHCP",
> and the status bar of "Configuring using DHCP" would run until 6%
> and then stop there (for at least 15 minutes). Again, I quit the
> installation with the power button.
>
> Next I tried to install the system with no LAN cable connected to the
> PC. This time the installation went all right (no GUI installed). The
> system boots from hard disk as long as no LAN cable is connected. The
> NIC seems to be loaded ok, as ifconfig outputs the interface as eth0.
>
> However, if a cable is connected at boot, the boot process gets stuck
> filling up the screen with the error message: "eth0: PCI Bus error
> 2280." If I boot with no cable, and plug in the cable when being
> prompted for login, the message "eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full duplex,
> lpa 0x45E1" appears immediately. After approx 15 seconds the screen
> will be filled up with "eth0: PCI bus error 2280" again and there
> is no way to bring the system down safely. Not even "Ctrl+Alt+Print+
> R E I S U B" helps.
>
> To exclude the opportunity that neither the NIC itself, nor the PCI
> interface is faulty, I did the following:
> - I tested the NIC in another system, running Ubuntu 7.10 (kernel
>   2.6.22-14-generic) and it worked no worries.
> - I tried a different PCI slot for the NIC with the same result as before.
> - I tried a different NIC in the same slot with the same result.
> - I tried a different PCI card (graphics adapter) in the same PCI slot as
>   the NIC is connected to now. The graphic adapter worked as it should.
>
> I would be very thankful, if one of you could give me a hint on how
> to solve this problem. Please let me know how to produce more output
> that could be helpful to you.

For your information:
I don't want more output, I want more GNU/Linux systems.

Back to the NIC that failed to work:
There is no information told about that Network Interface Card that fails.
(telling it is a PCI card isn't worth anything today)
The very least info to provide is the PCI ID of the NIC,
the commmand `lspci` does print out that data)

I did read the report as:
 NIC foo fails with kernel 2.6.18-5-486
 NIC foo works with kernel 2.6.22-14-generic
or more precise:
 NIC foo fails with kernel 2.6.18-5-486 in computer x
 NIC foo works with kernel 2.6.22-14-generic in computer y

So the problem could be computer x or an old kernel.
If the original poster uses debian-installer version lenny beta 1, which
comes with kernel 2.6.23, he could have a working system
or could discover that computer x is indeed an old pentium system
and NIC foo is from a recent generation PCI cards.

> Sincerely yours,
> Holger Schmithüsen, Germany
> --
> Ist Ihr Browser Vista-kompatibel? Jetzt die neuesten
> Browser-Versionen downloaden: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/browser

Something else:

* setup 1: fails
* setup 2: works