Re: D-I and busybox 1.9.1 test results

On Friday 07 March 2008, Frans Pop wrote:
> Yesterday and today I have run some tests with the busybox-udeb Bastian
> recently uploaded to experimental and after that with some custom built
> versions based on the source from that package.

I have now done more tests and here are my final conclusions.
Note that I have not looked at the busybox and busybox-static debs at all.

Bastian, could you do another upload to experimental with the changes below
included? With these changes there is IMO no reason not to upload 1.9.1 to
unstable after beta1 is out, at least from a D-I PoV.

Two general comments:
- 1.9.1-1 was uploaded as a native package, but it should have an .orig
  tarball
- please apply the last patch in #460824 for relatime mount support

Here is the diff between the config used for 1.9.1-1 and what I think we
want for the udeb:

-CONFIG_GETOPT_LONG=y
+# CONFIG_GETOPT_LONG is not set

New option. Don't think we need long options enabled.

-CONFIG_FEATURE_HAVE_RPC=y
+# CONFIG_FEATURE_HAVE_RPC is not set

Help says it will be automatically enabled when needed, but I don't think
there is anything that does need it. Disable?

-CONFIG_FEATURE_EDITING_FANCY_PROMPT=y
+# CONFIG_FEATURE_EDITING_FANCY_PROMPT is not set

Definitely not needed for the udeb.

-# CONFIG_FEATURE_INIT_SYSLOG is not set
+CONFIG_FEATURE_INIT_SYSLOG=y

Required to avoid busybox creating an additional VT for logging init
commands. See my original mail.

-CONFIG_IFCONFIG=y
-CONFIG_FEATURE_IFCONFIG_STATUS=y
+# CONFIG_IFCONFIG is not set
+# CONFIG_FEATURE_IFCONFIG_STATUS is not set

Thought this was to be disabled for a new version?

 CONFIG_NC=y
-# CONFIG_NC_SERVER is not set
-# CONFIG_NC_EXTRA is not set
+CONFIG_NC_SERVER=y
+CONFIG_NC_EXTRA=y

Required for the D-I debug log webserver. See my original mail.

-# CONFIG_CTTYHACK is not set
+CONFIG_CTTYHACK=y

Required for correct terminal type detection. As explained in other mails I
really think this is the best option ATM.

Configuration options for find
------------------------------
This has confused me quite a bit. Basically it looks like options set in the
configuration file are ignored and all features are always enabled. I have
verified that both by the fact that the size of the busybox executable
remains identical and the disabled options still work when running it.
This seems to be a bug in the build system.

I still think it makes sense to change some options as there are several
that I doubt are useful for the udeb:

-# CONFIG_FEATURE_FIND_MAXDEPTH is not set
+CONFIG_FEATURE_FIND_MAXDEPTH=y

Currently disabled, but this is a feature that we _do_ use in D-I and thus
should be enabled.

CONFIG_FEATURE_FIND_MTIME
CONFIG_FEATURE_FIND_MMIN
CONFIG_FEATURE_FIND_NEWER
CONFIG_FEATURE_FIND_INUM
CONFIG_FEATURE_FIND_USER
CONFIG_FEATURE_FIND_GROUP
CONFIG_FEATURE_FIND_DEPTH
CONFIG_FEATURE_FIND_SIZE
CONFIG_FEATURE_FIND_PATH

All these are features are currently enabled, but which I don't think they'd
ever be used in the context of D-I.

CONFIG_FEATURE_FIND_PRINT0
CONFIG_FEATURE_FIND_PRUNE

Currently enabled; doubtful as well, but maybe a bit more likely than the
ones above.

CONFIG_FEATURE_FIND_NOT
CONFIG_FEATURE_FIND_PAREN

Currently enabled; also doubtful, but potentially useful.

I would suggest that we disable all features in these last three categories
and only enable them if we even actually need them. All of them are
currently unused in D-I AFAICT.

Cheers,
FJP