live rescue install backup

Hello,

debian-installer is very modular by design.
The modular concept allows the d-i code to be (re)used as a
-installer
-live system
-rescue system
-backup and restore system

The thing I didn't see yet, is a modular way to start d-i
for the non installer functions like "live", "rescue"
and "backup & restore".

What I have see it the functions have all the own way to come alive.

Would it make sense to have something like

Template: d-i/function
Type: string
Default: installer
 Enter the function that should be preformed.
 Default is an installer.
 For rescue, type 'rescue'

And having directories /lib/$function.d as the rescue udeb allready has?

>From the README of rescue:

| Rescue operation scripts
| ========================
|
| After asking for the root filesystem, rescue-mode displays a menu of various
| operations that can be performed on this filesystem. Some of these
| operations are provided by rescue-mode, while others may be provided by
| separate udebs (such as bootloader reinstallation).
|
| Any udeb may install an executable script in /lib/rescue.d/; the name of
| this script should begin with two digits, which provide a consistent menu
| order, and the name may not contain "." or ":". It must provide a debconf
| template of type text called "rescue/menu/<name>" where <name> is the name
| of the script with the sequence number removed; the description of this
| template will be used to construct the rescue menu. It may also provide a
| debconf template of type text called "rescue/<name>/intro", which will be
| displayed before running the script.

Feedback is appriciated.

Cheers
Geert Stappers