[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: Future of the linux udebs


On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 12:31:05PM -0200, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> Bastian Blank <waldi@debian.org> writes:
>>  - Is impossible to release d-i with a different kernel from sid
>>    without a lot of hassle
>>  - If a bad kernel, with a bunch of ugly bugs, gets uploaded, all d-i
>>    development is affected
> This last item is where I worry a lot. Obviously, kernel team want to
> put newest kernel on sid however, when he does it, d-i will be forced
> to change it too.

Coordination is already needed now, and will be needed even more when
this change is implemented. 
If this means waiting with a new upstream kernel version for a week or 
two until the next beta of d-i is done, we will of course wait, no one
wants to break d-i development by purpose.

> For it to work testing images, _before_ the kernel
> upload to happen, would be required to at least reduce the risk of a
> kernel upload to stop all d-i development until it gets fixed.

We have the kernel-snapshots archive to test new images before uploading
them. This infrastructure could be extended, by adding buildds for all 
missing architectures, and whatever else is needed to get daily d-i
snapshots built with these kernels. 
> Another thihk that I see as a _must_ is that d-i team could nack a
> kernel upload. This is requred since d-i won't be allowed to diverge
> from sid kernels anymore (I mean during development) and those
> migrations would need to be much more coordinated with d-i RM and d-i
> porters.

Nobody will insist on uploading a new kernel version if this breaks the 
release schedule, just think of 2.6.19, which never was uploaded to the
archive because we where in the middle of releasing etch. 

Best regards
Frederik Schüler


Attachment: signature.asc
Description: Digital signature

Reply to: