Re: Future of the linux udebs

Bastian Blank <waldi@debian.org> writes:

While I'm not nacking it right now, I nack it to happen before Beta2
with 2.6.24 gets out.

<...>
> Build the udebs from the linux-2.6/linux-modules-extra-2.6 sources.
> Pros:
> - Only one step.
> - Problems in the module selection can be found during the kernel development
>   cycle. This includes added modules.
> Cons for the kernel team:
> - Another list to handle and which will kill the build if someone got
>   it wrong.
> - The additional configs for the build can't be checked without a real
>   build.
> Cons for the d-i team:
> - They have to trust another instance to don't get it completely
>   wrong.
> - Changes in the module selection may need a full rebuild.
> - Out-of-dateness of modules and buildsystem during the introdution of a
>   new abiname.
  - Is impossible to release d-i with a different kernel from sid
    without a lot of hassle
  - If a bad kernel, with a bunch of ugly bugs, gets uploaded, all d-i
    development is affected

This last item is where I worry a lot. Obviously, kernel team want to
put newest kernel on sid however, when he does it, d-i will be forced
to change it too. For it to work testing images, _before_ the kernel
upload to happen, would be required to at least reduce the risk of a
kernel upload to stop all d-i development until it gets fixed.

Another thihk that I see as a _must_ is that d-i team could nack a
kernel upload. This is requred since d-i won't be allowed to diverge
from sid kernels anymore (I mean during development) and those
migrations would need to be much more coordinated with d-i RM and d-i
porters.

linux-2.6/linux-modules-extra-2.6 would build the udebs using what
list? Still using kernel-wedge?

How the uploads of kernel would be coordinated? Will kernel team allow
d-i to _nack_ a kernel upload?

- --
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 E-mail: otavio@debian.org      UIN: 5906116
 GNU/Linux User: 239058     GPG ID: 49A5F855
 you the whole house."