Re: Dependencies on libnewt0.52 (was: Adding udebs in shlibs files for glibc)

On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 03:06:57PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> Well, there is actually another category. We have one library (libnewt0.52)
> that is only included in D-I initrds through library reduction and for
> which no udeb exists.
> Udebs that depend on it are: cdebconf-newt-udeb and cdebconf-newt-entropy.
>
> I see two solutions for this.
>
> Option 1
> --------
> Give libnewt0.52 a proper shlibs file changing the dependencies to
> 'libnewt-udeb' and add an empty libnewt-udeb package in the newt source
> package so that dependencies can be satisfied.
>
> Option 2
> --------
> Hack cdebconf-newt-udeb and cdebconf-newt-entropy so that their dependencies
> on libnewt0.52 get dropped.
>
> The first option seems cleaner and therefore has my preference.

The first option seems better, indeed, but I still find strange to have
an empty package in the archive.

Would it be possible to put libnewt.so* in the libnewt-udeb package and
make the library reduction step use it instead of the system library?
I would find such behaviour easier to understand; and we could tailor a
special version of newt closer to our needs if that is needed in the
future.

Cheers,
--
Jérémy Bobbio                        .''`.
lunar@debian.org                    : :Ⓐ  :  # apt-get install anarchism