Re: Just a thought, and a few questions

On Fri, Dec 21, 2007 at 02:50:14AM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Thursday 20 December 2007, Colin Watson wrote:
> > No, di-utils is already considered as the equivalent of Essential.
> > Plenty of stuff already uses it without a dependency (although there are
> > a number of dependencies anyway due to versioning).
>
> If we're willing to explicitly forego the requirement of versioned
> dependencies for this purpose, I'm more than happy to go along with you.

All that's required for that, IMO, is for the new di-utils to propagate
to testing before any dependent changes are made elsewhere. (Though
versioned dependencies are a useful record, and don't have a huge cost;
unlikely to consume more than a kilobyte uncompressed, I'd expect, which
seems well worth it for their mnemonic value.)