Re: Just a thought, and a few questions

On Thursday 20 December 2007, Colin Watson wrote:
> No, di-utils is already considered as the equivalent of Essential.
> Plenty of stuff already uses it without a dependency (although there are
> a number of dependencies anyway due to versioning).

If we're willing to explicitly forego the requirement of versioned
dependencies for this purpose, I'm more than happy to go along with you.

I just feel that this particular change should not be a reason to add
versioned dependencies to each and every other udeb that does not currently
have a dependency on di-utils.

Just the opposite: adopting this could be a very good opportunity to change
a lot of existing explicit versioned dependencies into implicit
dependencies and a formal elevation of the status of the "new" di-utils to
an "essential" status.