Re: D-I Manual - update (deadline: Jan 22)

As the soft freeze has now started and there have been quite a few changes
over the past few days, I feel it's time for a little status update.

Because of an error during a change in my "daily" build scripts, some
languages currently do not have their translation on alioth.
I have put placeholders for the index.html pages and things will be fixed
again automatically with the next successful build.
Sorry for any inconvenience.

You've probably seen that I'm doing builds more frequently at the moment.
This is both to get PO files updated ASAP after changes in the original
text and to allow you to catch errors as early as possible. I will keep
building more frequently as needed (based on the number of commits I
see), but not according to a fixed schedule.

On Thursday 28 December 2006 03:00, Frans Pop wrote:
> I still have some changes planned:
> - there is a request for review open for a new section on mail system
>   configuration (http://people.debian.org/~fjp/d-i/ch08s05.html); this
>   should be committed this week though;

Now committed. Comments about the content still welcome.
- http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/ch08s05.html

> - we still need to add at least some basic documentation about the
>   Graphical Installer;

I've not yet gotten around to this and feel it is important enough to
still want to add something.

> - some updates are needed of facts and figures;

Done today.

> - quick general review to try to catch things that obviously
>   obsolete/outdated;
> - some minor additions in the troubleshooting section;

Both done.

> - possibly move information about task sizes and extend the pkgsel
>   section a bit;

I've done a complete review of all the "minimum requirements" bits as that
was very much needed. I think the new text is a lot more sane.
Comments on that are very welcome as well:
- http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/ch02s05.html
- http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/ch03s04.html
- http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/apds02.html

> - possibly some updates by porters.

There has been a full review for Sarge (which actually had been already
done some time ago, but never translated to actual changes), and some
revision of info for other arches. Quite some obsolete cruft has been
removed which hopefully improves the readability of the manual a bit.

> This should all be done by the end of this week though.

Well, almost :-)

Thanks a lot for the reports of typos and such!

I don't think we'll need to do any more big changes in _existing_ text,
but I would like to try and add some information:
- graphical installer
- some missing bits about installation of tasks (pkgsel)
- maybe document a bit about mirror selection, which I noticed is
  currently undocumented

If I do, I'll try to do it ASAP (tomorrow at the latest). Unless you all
start to protest very loudly...

> STATUS OF TRANSLATIONS

Most translations have started their updates, and some have almost caught
up (which is impressive with such a moving target).

I've seen a first commit for Korean. I will ping translators that have not
yet started on their l10n lists.

Cheers,
FJP