Re: How to preseed install via pppoe (for A-DSL)?

On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 02:01:31AM +0200, Eddy Petrișor wrote:
> Josef Wolf wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 02:41:11PM +0200, Eddy Petrișor wrote:
> >> Josef Wolf wrote:
> > [ ... ]
> >> Did you try to manually retry the configuration?
> >
> > Thanks for your replies and your suggestions, Eddy!
> >
> > Yes, I tried "udpkg --configure --force-configure ppp-udeb".  But the
> > menus were messed up.  Looks like menus are messed up by debug/log output
> > to the terminal.  Anyways, I entered pppoe-username/password blindly.
> > But it failed again without error message.
> ppp-udeb's postinst needs to be ran in an debconf environment. By "manually
> retry" I meant controlling manually the installation by going to the
> main-menu and selecting ppp-udeb's menu entry in the main menu.

I tried that too, but the result was exactly the same as the first try.
That's why I tried it on the console.

> >> For some unknown reason
> >> ppp-udeb sometimes fails to consistently configure PPPoE. It had this
> >> problem since its begining when I started working on it, but I never
> >> found the reason behind it. Still, manually retrying usually makes it
> >> work.
> > Did not work for me.  I have retried at least 10 times. :-(
> Did you try a regular image without any preseeding? Maybe there's
> something that breaks ppp-udeb (I am just braindumping, I am not
> thinking of a specific cause).

I tried the original gutsy alternate cd, but it don't start up ppp-udeb at
all.  I got it running with manually "pppoeconf eth1".  Don't remember the
details, will need to reinstall to see how I got it running.

> Becasue of this possible interference with preseeding I asked you to try a
> vanilla image and see if you can configure PPPoE with such an image.

With the original install cd, ppp-udeb is not started up at all.  It
immediately goes to configure the network interface via dhcp.

> There is the possiblity to set the debugging level of debconf to
> DEBCONF_DEBUG=5 (in debconf-devel the value is a string, but in D-I is
> a number) by passing DEBCONF_DEBUG=5 to the kernel command line. The
> syslog should be more verbose this time.

OK, I will try that.

> Also note that the debconf protocol is *very* sensitive to spilled out
> strings or messages and any extra/unpredicted output from commands
> inside the postinst might break debconf and you get weird
> strings/dialogs/failures.

Oh, this might be the cause of the problems.  There were notes about
terminated processes in the logfile.  I've also seen such notes when I
started the postinst manually on the console.

> This is a good sign that something is still writing to stdout (which is
> debconf's stdin and which should have a specific format respecting the
> debconf protocol).

Thanks for having so much patience with me :)