Re: [RFC] Support for using multiple CDs during installation

Op 31-10-2007 om 22:23 schreef Frans Pop:
> It's logical from the installer's pov, but not from a _user's_ pov.
> How the hell is he supposed to guess that he will be asked about additional
> CDs later when confronted with a question about a network mirror?
>
> If I (as a newbie) were confronted by that question I would think "OK, so
> that's it: I either use the mirror or have to do with what's included on
> this one CD; let's choose the mirror to be safe".
> With my proposal the user will _know_ at the time of the mirror question how
> many CDs/DVDs he already has available which makes answering "No" to the
> mirror question a lot less scary.

I was a newbie too.  ( Yes, I know, we where all newbies once. )

In the Commodore 64 days, I had the game "Fort Apocalypse".
With the joystick you controlled a helicopter. In the landscape there
where soldiers to rescue and there was the computer controlled air
defence system shooting at you.
After a lot of pratice I was able to rescue all soldiers and to destroy
the air defence before it did destroy me. I felt great and the stupid
computer should have reward me
with a great blinking "GAME OVER", but didn't. (yes, a newbie expirence)
After spendig even more time on the game, I find out (or was told) that
that the floor under the air defence house can also be shoot and the
hole in the floor (or ground) was an entrance to cave.
Decending in the cave with the helicopter did change the scenery color,
I was in the next level of the game ...
Again air defence shooting at me and also soldiers to rescue for extra
points. Also shooting on the floor and the wall for finding further
"levels" of the game.
And finally deep in the cave there was the Fort Apocalypse.
After destroy that fortress there was a very big "GAME OVER"
(or was it a "Mission completed!" ? ) with various visual effects.
The great victory of not being a newbie (for F.A.) anymore.

In other words:

  A newbie can learn.

Back to the Debian-Installer:

Please design with an user (so not a newbie) in mind.

For those who are worried about "elite" and such:
Really "elite-ish" is to assume that the person who installs Debian
is a newbie.

Cheers
Geert Stappers
--