Re: installing to a box with suspended system

Op 31-10-2007 om 21:44 schreef Michal Suchanek:
> Well, this is another problem that might be solved by the solution
> suggested for that bug.
>
> To paraphrase what you are saying, using Debian software on a system
> is inherently risky, as you can never be sure what changes it does.
> Compounding the risk by having operating systems suspended is
> something you should avoid as a user.

My mom did told me that it is dangerous to go across the street,
but she never did forbid me to go across the street.

Thing I want to tell, is that there are always risks.

> Here the installer is no different from any other piece of software.
> It should not do stuff behind your back. It is not one of those tools
> for certain other OSes.
>
> The installer should be designed to perform the task of copying Debian
> to a place designated by the user in the system so that the user can
> boot Debian using the method she chooses.
> Modifying other places in the system is not part of this task.

We all agree on that.

And I think that we all can see the good things in advices like
"do a real shutdown, not a suspend" and "buckle up before start driving"

Geert Stappers
taking the risk to tell something obvious