Re: [RFC] Support for using multiple CDs during installation

On Wednesday 31 October 2007, Frans Pop wrote:
> > Neither does installing lilo to one disk and grub to another, but d-i
> > does not prompt the user to choose if they want to use lilo, and follow
> > that up with a separate prompt about whether to use grub. Instead d-i
> > allows the -0.00001% of users who need to do this to use the menu in
> > expert mode.
>
> OK, but in your proposal the option to scan additional CDs is _not asked
> at all_ if they choose to use a mirror. A significant difference I'd say.

That's not quite right as lilo is also not asked by default. The difference
is in the fact that you think using CD sets is a corner case, while I
don't. Another difference is that the option to use lilo could be
considered to be an option for expert users (those who (think they) know
the difference between the two and prefer lilo), while using CD sets is
something that newbie users are more likely to do and is thus something
that _should_ be offered during a normal install.

I remember well that I started using debian (not sure if I had 14k4 or 28k8
modem or already 56k ISDN at the time) using downloaded boot floppies. I
got stuck. Some time later decided to try again and bought a Potato CD set
(all three of them and unofficial extra's). For Woody I downloaded CD 1-3;
pretty sure I was on ISDN by then.

I also remember discussing the with Pema in Bhutan. He told me that his main
distribution method was going to be multiple CDs (he was regularly pushing
me about making sure that my CD build scripts would support that) and was
looking forward to having this option available.