Re: [RFC] Support for using multiple CDs during installation

Frans Pop wrote:
> I beg to disagree.
>
> As argued above, loading multiple CDs in no way conflicts with using a
> mirror. IMO we have to always ask both questions.

Neither does installing lilo to one disk and grub to another, but d-i
does not prompt the user to choose if they want to use lilo, and follow
that up with a separate prompt about whether to use grub. Instead d-i
allows the -0.00001% of users who need to do this to use the menu in
expert mode.

> Also, first letting the user scan all CDs and then asking about adding a
> mirror is a lot more logical than the other way around:
> a) it seems not very natural to first scan the installation CD, then do
> other stuff, and then go back to scanning CDs

Scanning the first CD doesn't involve the user doing something, so most
users will not particularly notice it's happened.

> b) it is much more natural to have a user consider:
> - "OK, I've now scanned this huge pile of CDs; do I still want to use a
>    mirror in addition to that or not?"

No, it's much more natural to optimise for the common case, which is
using a mirror. Users should not be encouraged to scan huge piles of CDs.
Huge piles of CDs are obsolete in all but a very few edge cases.
Prompting for additional CDs will make the user feel that he should
provide them, which is typically a waste of his time and leads to a
system that is less functional (because apt asks you to switch CDs all
the time). Or more likely, it will make the user worry that he doesn't
have more than one CD.

> than:
> - "hey, they're asking me if I want to use a mirror; do I need one? I
>    probably do as apparently I cannot use this shitload of CDs they let
>    me download and burn..."

When a user downloads a bunch of CDs they don't neeed, as in your
example, we've already failed once, let's not fail twice.

In general, you seem to be assuming that using multiple CDs is something
other than an exceptional edge case. It is not. That's why I happily
dropped it from the etch installer, and why only a few users have missed
it. If you want to fill in that edge case in the installer, that's fine
(and impressive), but it's not good to complicate the installation
process for the common case when doing so.

--
see shy jo