Re: About console-setup in d-i

Christian,

I looked at the locales in localechooser and it seams that currently
the only non-UTF8 locales are C, Bulgarian, Esperanto and Georgian.
Maybe it is time to swith all locales to UTF-8?  If you decide to do
this please add a command

db_set debian-installer/charmap UTF-8

somewhere in localechooser.  Otherwise add a code similar to this:

case "$locale" in
     bg_BG)
	charmap=CP1251;;
     eo)
	charmap=ISO-8859-3;;
     ka_GE)
	charmap=GEORGIAN-PS;;
     kk_KZ)
        charmap=PT154;;
     *)
	charmap=UTF-8;;
esac
db_set debian-installer/charmap "$charmap"

I noticed that the Georgian locale is declared as

Georgian;4;ka;GE;ka_GE;;kbd=ka8x16thin(utf8)

but its encoding is GEORGIAN-PS which is not supported on the console
unless console-setup is used and is not supported in X Window
regardless what is used.  The only usefull locale for Georgian is
ka_GE.UTF-8.

A similar problem with the (commented out) Kazakh locale:

#X Kazakh;2;kk;KZ;kk_KZ;;kbd=ruscii_8x16(koi8-r)

The encoding of kk_KZ is the not very useful PT154 so kk_KZ.UTF-8 has
to be used instead.  (Notice also that koi8-r does not cover Kazakh
language which means that either console-cyrillic or console-setup
have to be used for Kazakh.)

Anton Zinoviev