Re: Reworking the GTK+ cdebconf frontend

Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> writes:

> On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 11:52:56AM +0200, Attilio Fiandrotti wrote:
>> Apropos of the way of performing commits, after the g-i became part of
>> official builds i became very prudent about committing huge changes to
>> the sourcecode.
>>
>> If you look into last months d-boot archives, you'll see that i usually
>> discuss patches on list before committing, and you'll also see the same
>> do all other people working on the g-i: because the d-i is a community
>> project, i think posting-before-commiting is the correct way of proceeding.
>
> FWIW, I don't think posting-before-committing is necessary for obvious
> cleanups. It appears this one was unexpectedly contentious, but I'm not
> sure that Jérémy could have been expected to know that. In general I
> think people should be encouraged to clean up hard-to-read code in d-i.

I agree and specially at cdebconf there're a lot of code to be cleaned
up.

One possibility could be Jeremy create a people branch and commit
every change there and from time to time, ask for review. Since he's
focusing at gtk frontend we all could try to coordinate with him about
any fixes commited at this while his branch is not merged back.

I personally don't like a long and highly intrusive patch and prefer a
patchset so a branch looks to be the best way to go.

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 E-mail: otavio@debian.org      UIN: 5906116