Re: debootstrap says Packages was corrupt

Joey Hess wrote:

>Neale Banks wrote:
>> May 18 00:29:38 debootstrap:
>/target/var/lib/apt/lists/debootstrap.invalid_dists_etch_main_binary-i386_Packages: No such file
>or directory
>> May 18 00:29:38 debootstrap:
>/target/var/lib/apt/lists/debootstrap.invalid_dists_etch_main_binary-i386_Packages: No such file
>or directory
>
>I would set -x debootstrap to figure out why it's failing like this. It
>should be copying the Packages files to those filenames, so why do they
>not exist?
>
>> May 18 00:29:38 debootstrap: ar:
>> May 18 00:29:38 debootstrap: Short read
>> May 18 00:29:38 debootstrap:
>> May 18 00:29:38 debootstrap: zcat:
>> May 18 00:29:38 debootstrap: Short read
>
>This suggests that a deb is corrupt or is not being loaded properly,
>since debootstrap uses ar to extract the first set of debs.

Hmmm. These look *very* similar to issues I've seen in the last few
months while hacking on debian-cd:

 * shortcomings in busybox gunzip (#402482)
 * d-i still demanding a Packages file as well as Packages.gz

"Further comment on how I feel about IBM will appear once I've worked out
 whether they're being malicious or incompetent. Capital letters are forecast."
 Matthew Garrett, http://www.livejournal.com/users/mjg59/30675.html