Can't set screen resolution in a preseed

I work for West Virginia University in the department of computer science and electrical engineering.  We run our infrastructure on a modified version of Ubuntu, and we use debian-installer preseed files to automatically install and configure everything the way we need it.

Currently we have a bunch of Intel iMacs that don't like to autodetect the proper graphics driver and resolution on startup, so they crash from using the vesa driver instead of the i810 driver.

To get around this, we set video stuff manually in the preseed as follows (the default resolution is 1440x900 widescreen on a LCD):

xserver-xorg    xserver-xorg/config/monitor/lcd boolean true
xserver-xorg    xserver-xorg/config/device/driver    select  i810
xserver-xorg    xserver-xorg/config/display/modes    multiselect  1440x900, 1024x768, 800x600, 640x480
xserver-xorg    xserver-xorg/config/monitor/horiz-sync    string  28-72
xserver-xorg    xserver-xorg/config/monitor/vert-refresh    string  43-60
xserver-xorg    xserver-xorg/config/monitor/selection-method    select  Medium
xserver-xorg    xserver-xorg/config/monitor/mode-list   select  1440x900 @ 60Hz

The bit about the video driver works, but the resolution refuses to change.  When I run debconf-get-selections | grep xserver after the install is done, I get this:

xserver-xorg    xserver-xorg/config/monitor/lcd boolean true
xserver-xorg    xserver-xorg/config/device/driver    select  i810
xserver-xorg    xserver-xorg/config/display/modes    multiselect  1024x768, 800x600, 640x480
xserver-xorg    xserver-xorg/config/monitor/horiz-sync    string  28-51
xserver-xorg    xserver-xorg/config/monitor/vert-refresh    string  43-60
xserver-xorg    xserver-xorg/config/monitor/selection-method    select  Medium
xserver-xorg    xserver-xorg/config/monitor/mode-list   select  1024x768 @ 60Hz

It's like it's deliberately ignoring the modes and mode-list sections.  Can anyone give me some insight into this?

Thanks,

--
Adam Dorsey
WVU LCSEE Systems