Re: Debian 4.0 and VMWare Workstation 6: Installer hang

Hi Frans,

thanks a lot for your reply. :-)

2007/5/3, Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl >:
> VMWare just responded Debian Linux is an unsupported os, so it´s not
> their task to get this running. Running unsupported linux distros is
> not a "must", from their point of view, but only a "nice to have",
> especially with a release candidate version of VMWare.

I can imagine that formal reaction, but OTOH this seems like a general
kernel incompatibility which they should care about.
You can be fairly sure that it is _not_ something Debian specific that is
causing the problem.

Hopefully you´re right. I glimpsed through VMWare discussion board, and iirc there were some complaints about kernel 2.6.21 issues, but nothing about 2.6.18 (on what d-i is based).

You could try a daily built D-I image, which uses kernel 2.6.20 . But note
that there are a lot of changes in unstable which may result in issues
with daily builds.

Tried that today and had still no luck... :-(
But I´ll stick to this, maybe it´ll install some day.

I expect that the issue will automatically sort itself out with time.

I hope so!
But in my eyes this looks like a problem concerning CPU-Type <-> VMWare 6 <-> Linux/kernel. Remember, if I use a different system with Intel cpu, same VMWare version, same netinst-image, everything runs like a charm...

regards,
Andi