Re: waking up in the 10.x.x.x network

Op 20-04-2007 om 13:04 schreef Michael S. Peek:
> The organization where I work, a college campus, has a DHCP server that
> will assign all unknown hosts a 10.x.x.x address and route all traffic
> from a 10.x.x.x address to their machine registration page.  This is a
> convenience for students and faculty, who may bring in their new
> computers from home, register their machines with networking services,
> and then get straight to work.  (the trick is that if you have a
> 10.x.x.x address then you're not allowed to see anything other than the
> registration server, and only after you register will the DHCP server
> assign you a 'real' address.)
>
> But for me, this 'convenience' is a pain. Because all of my hosts use
> NIS+NFS+Automount, none of our hosts use DHCP, and therefore none of our
> hosts are registered with the DHCP server.  This means that whenever I
> go to install a host, for which I have a static IP, d-i + DHCP will fail
> every time.  (It'll wind up getting a 10.x.x.x address and can't contact
> anything on the network other than the registration server.)  I have no
> access to the DHCP server, so I can't change the way it works, or
> instruct it to serve my hosts their rightful static IP addresses.
>
> If I attempt to set up my own DHCP server then I run into a race
> condition between my DHCP server and the campus DHCP server.  There's no
> way to tell d-i which server to contact, so it'll listen to the first
> one that it hears back from.
>
> So as near as I can tell, there is just no way to make this work.

Mmm, I begin to understand why the multi-config udebs were created.

However, I think this problem^Wchallenche is something that can not
solved only by writing program code.

I would go talk to the administrator of the registration server.
and ask for a directory on the that web server.

Assuming the registration server is known as 'rs', and the
requested web directory would be 'd-i'. I could boot debian-installer
with url=rs, which would be expanded into
 preseed/url=http://rs/d-i/etch/preseed.cfg

See also http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2007/04/msg00794.html

> Thanks for your help though,
> Michael