Re: Introduction

* Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> [2007-02-24 13:35]:
> > NSLU2 really needs lowmem level 2 because it only has 32 MB RAM.  Yes,
> > some of the time it will work with level 1, but depending on your hard
> > drive the mkfs process might get killed in level 1
> I thought that we set up swap first to avoid that. hrm

iirc it sometimes failed to set up swap with level 2.

Even now, with level 2, it seems that mkfs sometimes gets killed.
Apparently, the Linux kernel kills processes that are larger than the
amount of real RAM, even if there is plenty of swap.  There is a way
to change this via some files in /proc, but I followed the
instructions someone gave me and it was still killed. :/  It would be
great if someone who had some time to look into this - I can forward
links to them.

In fact, here it is:

| From: Kurt Pruenner

| Well, the default behaviour of the linux kernel is to kill processes
| that use more memory than is physically available, no matter how much
| swap there is.

| Try running

| echo 2 > /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory
| echo 80 > /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_ratio

| in a shell before creating the file systems but after activating swap,
| that should help.

| Here's some more info on the problem:

| http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/lk/lk-9.html#ss9.6

Unfortunately, this didn't work for me.