Re: Will we be releasing some day?

On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 03:27:45PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 February 2007 08:50, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > I'm sorry that you misunderstood.  That kernel was supposed to be the
> > final ABI, not the final kernel version.

> Well, I understood it to be the final kernel as well. That is why I
> started preparations for RC2.
> I agree with Christian. I'm getting solidly fed up with the lack of
> progress from the kernel team and find it demotivating as hell.

> As I've said on IRC, IMO D-I RC2 should be released with the final
> _kernel_ if at all possible, not just the final kernel _ABI_.

There are good reasons for wanting the d-i kernel to be as close to the
shipped kernel as possible, but there are also good reasons for this to not
be a hard requirement -- such as a last-minute security update that isn't
relevant to the installer.

The need for GPL compliance in the face of version skew between the kernel
debs and the installer were a major reason why, *pre-sarge*, the kernel
packages had support added for rolling back to any previous Debian
patchlevel.  I've just verified that yes, this code is still present in the
current linux-2.6 package: if you install linux-source-2.6.18, you will get
a linux-patch/usr/src/kernel-patches/all/2.6.18/apply/debian script that
lets you specify, with a -R option, the exact patchlevel you want to
recreate, so that reproducing previous versions of the linux-2.6 tree is as
trivial as possible.

So while we certainly want d-i RC2 to be based on linux-2.6 -11 rather than
-10 due to pending RC bugfixes, this doesn't rule out the possibility of a
linux-2.6 -12 being included in etch without a subsequent d-i rebuild for
etch r0.