Re: Extending accessibility support in D-I for Lenny

Hi,

Mario Lang, le Fri 16 Feb 2007 14:23:31 +0100, a écrit :
> Willy, are you still willing to help the speakup project to do the final
> cleaning up so that mainline submission could happen?

I wouldn't say "final": the way speakup access serial ports is to be
completely rethought.  The current way it is done will just have a lot
of chances to crash if you access the serial device from a userspace
program, for instance.  I doubt any kernel hacker would accept that
mainline.

(That would also permit to use USB-to-serial adapters)

> Back when I was still maintaining a speakup enabled kernel
> in Debian, I bought a hardware speech synthesizer especially
> for testing speakup support for it.

Mmm, I'd say the best way would rather to write a "fake" speakup driver,
that outputs plain text on the serial port.  That would let _everybody_
test speakup (including all kernel hackers), not only people that have
the hardware.

Samuel