Re: Bugs in default GNOME etch?

Hello!

NB, if you keep d-d as to: or cc:, please don't cc: me, I read the
list.

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 10:11:36 +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le mardi 16 janvier 2007 à 02:46 +0100, Luca Capello a écrit :
>> 6) gnome-panel gives an .xsession-errors because "Unable to open
>>    desktop file epiphany.desktop for panel launcher".  This is normal
>>    as epiphany isn't installed by default, but I'd suggest to install
>>    the firefox.desktop instead.
>
> Epiphany is not installed by default? If this is the case, I consider it
> a very important bug in debian-installer.
[...]
> The GNOME desktop as a whole is configured to use epiphany, which
> has decent desktop integration, which firefox/iceweasel has not.

I was also surprised that epiphany wasn't installed by default.

To be sure this is a *bug* (now I consider it for the reason below), I
installed a Debin etch with KDE via the full CD image [1].  Indeed, on
KDE Konqueror is installed by default and it's the default browser
(i.e. the one present in the status bar).  Thus, I don't understand
why Debian GNOME should rely on Iceweasel.

> Can anyone in debian-boot confirm that the aptitude behaviour leads to
> epiphany not being installed? If this the case, what solution would you
> suggest? (The obvious solution of not installing the ugly
> firefox/iceweasel and confusing users with two browsers having been
> repeatedly refused by the d-i team.)

I'd suggest both (i.e. DE's browser and Iceweasel), as it's the case
for Debian KDE.  The user will have the epiphany icon on the GNOME
panel, but Iceweasel will still be available in the GNOME menu.

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca

Footnotes:
[1] http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/i386/iso-cd/debian-testing-i386-kde-CD-1.iso