Re: etch d-i delay

Marcus Moeller wrote:
> I have noticed that one main reason for the etch Release delay is the missing
> of kernel 2.6.18 in the d-i.

Only mostly because the final kernel for etch is not present in etch (or
even unstable yet), not because of slowness on the d-i side.

(2.6.18 is already available in d-i daily builds)

> Now I wonder if its really necessary to keep the
> installer kernel on track with the one that comes with the distribution
> itself. The kernel on the d-i install media is afaik just used to initialize
> the target hardware like cdroms, network cards or chipsets/controllers.

Yes, the GPL requires that we ship the source to the kernel, even if
it's only used by d-i. Sanity also requires that the kernel used by the
installer has exactly the same set of bugs and features as the kernel
that is installed.

--
see shy jo