etch d-i delay

Hi everybody.

I have noticed that one main reason for the etch Release delay is the missing
of kernel 2.6.18 in the d-i. Now I wonder if its really necessary to keep the
installer kernel on track with the one that comes with the distribution
itself. The kernel on the d-i install media is afaik just used to initialize
the target hardware like cdroms, network cards or chipsets/controllers.

As 2.6.17 supports a lot of these devices and 2.6.18 does only a little more,
I am confused about this kernel rush for now.

Best Regards
Marcus

PS: different opinions are welcome ;)