Re: etch d-i delay

On Wednesday 20 December 2006 19:27, Marcus Moeller wrote:
> I have noticed that one main reason for the etch Release delay is the
> missing of kernel 2.6.18 in the d-i. Now I wonder if its really
> necessary to keep the installer kernel on track with the one that comes
> with the distribution itself. The kernel on the d-i install media is
> afaik just used to initialize the target hardware like cdroms, network
> cards or chipsets/controllers.

You are mistaken. It is not the main reason, not even one of the major
reasons. However, a new release of d-i _is_ on the critical timeline for
the Etch release.

And yes, d-i does need to use the same kernel as Etch ships with for
various very good reasons.
Note that the daily builds of d-i images are already using 2.6.18.

I can understand you are impatient for the release to happen, but d-i
releases just as debian as a whole: when it is ready. And currently
various things are not ready yet.

Cheers,
FJP