Re: Patch to handle touchpads in g-i available

Frans Pop wrote:
On Wednesday 22 November 2006 16:44, Attilio Fiandrotti wrote:

I recently wrote a patch against DFB 0.9.25 which adds to linux_input
the capability to translate absolute x,y coordinates generated  by
touchpads into relative ones: this allows using Synaptic touchpads with
the g-i.

Works on my laptop with alps touchpad. Cursor movement is a bit slow.
Tapping does not work correctly:
- deliberate tapping sometimes works, but mostly not
- very quick mouse movement will always end in a tap

experienced something similar on my father's laptop: cursor moves much slower than on my touchpad, i guess because different touchpads provide different X,Y ranges. This could be fixed lowering the speed scaling factor, but this may result in too fast motion on other touchpads like mine (i own an hp pavillon laptop ). I also experienced tap not working on my father's latop: this may be because of different Z input values and could be adjusted by lowering the pressure treshold over which the tap is reported, but there are drawback there too (luckily the user can use the normal buttons)

However, it is a lot better than the current situation, so I'd very much like to try to get this patch in before Etch. Could you file a BR against the directfb package and discuss an upload for it with the maintainer?

alright, i'll open a new bug for directfb tagging it patch; i'd just like to wait a couple of days still for more reports to come ( i sent a call for testing to d-italian and responses are generally positive ATM )

It would be nice to also get some testing of this patch on powerpc with the directfb input module enabled.

Uhm, does the Macintosh touchpads are recognized as ps2 mices? in this case the patch shouldn't be even necessary (ps2mouse input module would be used instead), but as i own no mac powerbook i cannot check.

cheers

attilio