Re: r42716 - in trunk/installer: build/config build/config/powerpc build/config/powerpc/prep build/pkg-lists/cdrom build/pkg-lists/netboot debian doc/devel

On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 09:16:35PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 November 2006 20:59, Sven Luther wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 07:50:37PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> > > I wonder why prep is promoted to a general subarch here rather than
> > > a subarch for powerpc only as it was previously.
> >
> > Because, as i have told already in the past, prep didn't make the
> > ARCH=powerpc switch upstream, so has to build with ARCH=ppc, so is
> > using a different kernel flavour.
>
> Yes, I got there myself too. See my previous mail.
>
> > The SUBARCHES variable is only used for mkvmlinuz invocation though,
> > and you cannot really make any conclusion about what is listed there.
>
> Right. Looks like that could be simplified as there are no real subarches
> left anymore.

You still don't have a clue, please leave the code alone, it is just fine like
this, or at least consult with Colin before you propose any more breakage.

The SUBARCHES variable is used in the toplevel code, which is common to the
prep, powerpc and powerpc64 subarches, and because right now we don't build
the coff mkvmlinuz target, or some random other one, doesn't mean we won't do
so in the future.

This code has been working since over 2 years, and is still perfectly fine,
and if it needs changing, i will propose the change.

If you are bored and don't know what to do, please investigate why partman
doesn't set the RAID flag (and probably the LVM too) on mac partition tables
(and probably others too). This is bug number #397973.

Sven Luther