RC1 with auto-RAID and graphical preseeding

Hi folks,

I just noticed the new RC1 release yesterday and immediately I went to test the auto-partitioning through a preseed file, as well the automatic assembly of the disks to create a RAID device. These issues are gone and it works like a charm (at least as I noticed until now) despite a weird GRUB behavior that I cannot still understand.

1. If I install the system choosing the "installgui" option at boot time, everything goes fine and GRUB get installed ok. The system then boots and it's done. Though, the log says to not use /sbin/grub- install directly anymore (and points to /usr/sbin, IIRC).

2. Using the graphical installer my preseed seems to loose effect and 40% of the most common options are ignored and the install prompt me to type something or choose between 2 or 3 selections. Is there some special handler for preseeds in the graphical installer that's different from the console interface? Some screens I can remember so far: user password (I told it to use a MD5 hash), networking, partman, tasksel and others that should have been ignored or automatic.

3. Using the default option in isolinux my preseed file is read perfectly well and the installation goes on. It's all ok but the GRUB part of it. The preseed line which specify how to install GRUB is the same one from above and the system does not complain at all about it. GRUB get installed (or apparently seems to) and my RAID device is created right (automagically, as it should since the beginning).

The issue: as the system boots for the first time after the installation process, the machines outputs a pretty nice "no bootable device" message. Only after using the "install" option with everything automatic (including the RAID, as told).

My preseed.cfg lies inside the initrd (which I didn't touch more, except for this inclusion) and is attached to this e-mail.

Please let me know if I am doing something wrong, if this is a weird bug or anything else :-) I've used a old preseeded CD of Sarge to make sure the disks and the machine are okay and it worked.

Cheers!

--
caio[1982] begotti
http://caio.ueberalles.net