help - vanishing keyboard

I'm trying (hard) to install Testing or Etch on a Stylistic 3500 tablet.

Sarge installed successfully, but I'm having problems with the boot /
root diskettes on Testing / Etch.

The Stylistic has an external Fujitsu floppy drive connected, and I
have a USB keyboard connected.

The Boot disk runs perfectly (as in Sarge), but after it completes, and
requests insertion of the Root disk + Enter, the keyboard appears to
die.  Nothing can be punched in on the keyboard that gets through to
the tablet. This did not happen with Sarge.

I've re-burnt the floppies with no improvement, so that does not seem
to be the problem.

I've also tried several different versions of the Boot / Root images
including the latest nightly update. They all behave the same way,
which is badly.

Any suggestions or assistance would be very welcome.

Chris Dunn