Re: Creating a bootable CD for a RS/6000 PReP machine

On Fri, Nov 03, 2006 at 08:42:32AM -0800, asdf wrote:
> --- Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> >
> > the netinst.iso should be bootable on your box, it has all the right
> > things in
> > debian-cd's powerpc script. You should look at them, and twiddle them
> > until
> > they work, but this may well break something else elsewhere.
> >
> > The prefered method of installation on PReP hardware is the netboot
> > image
> > (vmlinuz-prep.initrd).
> >
> > Now, the 2.6.17 kernel missed support for PReP, something which is
> > fixed in
> > the 2.6.18 kernel, but with a new -prep flavour. Until rc1 is out,
> > and d-i
> > switches to 2.6.18, i guess your best guess is an older pre 2.6.16
> > based CD
> > set.
> >
> > You can boot those from the prep firmware command line, with
> > something like :
> >
> >   boot cd:,\install\powerpc\vmlinuz-prep.initrd
> >
> > even if the cd is not auto-bootable friendly.
> >
> > What cd set where you using anyway ?
> >

> Hi Sven,
>
> I was using the daily build netinst ISO image, and apparently it's
> powerpc directory contains the -chrp initrd image not the prep initrd
> image.

Indeed, there is no -prep image after 2.6.16. 2.6.18 images will have them,
but you have to wait after rc1.

> Where can I download a netinst ISO for etch/testing that has the
> correct  vmlinuz-prep.initrd image?

Well, you could try the older images, beta3 should have 2.6.15 i think, not
sure.

> Thanks for supplying the command line to use at the open firmware
> prompt. In my case, it appears to try and boot off of the CD but since
> I do not seem to have the right image the installer doesn't boot off of
> the CD.

No, you need some prep magic to boot from the cdrom i think. not sure though,
your help would be welcome to test this.

> Please CC: me on all replies as I am not subscribed to the list.

I always do that :)

Friendly,

Sven Luther