package selection in preseed File

Hello,

I need some information:

In the file http://www.debian.org/releases/sarge/example-preseed.txt
i found this :

# You can choose to install any combination of tasks that are available.
# Available tasks as of this writing include: Desktop environment,
# Web server, Print server, DNS server, File server, Mail server,
# SQL database, Laptop, Standard system, manual package selection. The
# last of those will run aptitude. You can also choose to install no
# tasks, and force the installation of a set of packages in some other
# way. We recommend always including the Standard system task.

What is meant by "in some other way"?
Is there something like dpkg -i snmp.deb (just as an bad example), i can use ?
What's recommended?

i hope i expressed my problem in an understandable way

tia

alex