Re: Preseeded RAIDed installs again

On Tue, Aug 22, 2006 at 11:56:06PM +0200, David Härdeman wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 22, 2006 at 03:02:49PM +0100, Simon Huggins wrote:
> >>will > be willing to take a look as well.
> >>Great.
> >Did either of you manage this yet?  I've tested it against an up to date
> >daily and with more than just two partitions (i.e. adapting the multi
> >recipe from partman-auto) and it's still working fine here.
> I was kinda hoping that I'd be able to finish that so that I'd be able to
> give input on how the partman-auto-raid stuff could be hooked into the UI
> as well so it not only allows preseeding but also manual action.

Interesting.  What would you hope to achieve this way though?  There is
already a RAID interface via the menus.

On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 02:50:47PM +0200, David Härdeman wrote:
> One comment and one question so far:

> partman-auto-raid/init.d/initial_auto_raid seems to contain a copy of
> confirm_changes() from partman-base/definitions.sh

Quite probably.  Do you mean I should try and source that then?  I took
a copy so I was working with something static that wouldn't change under
me.

> Would it be possible to use lvm on top of the md device? The reason
> that I'm asking is that it would allow all the existing recipies to be
> used, no separate recipe format would be necessary for RAID (just
> preseed disk and raid level) and much of the heavy lifting could be
> done by partman-auto-lvm once partman-auto-raid has setup the md
> device.

That would involve LVM however and my goal was to set up RAID without
LVM.  I realised at the time that there could well be some useful work
to do both and to put LVM on top of an MD device for further carving up.

At the moment the partman-auto-raid stuff will give you automatic RAID
devices but I suspect some of the -auto-raid and/or -auto-lvm code would
need to be rejigged in terms of priorities at least in order to do this.

I see that as additional work on top of what I've already written
though; I think it's useful as is or I wouldn't have written it but I'm
open to suggestions and at least one of the server configs I install
Debian on requires some RAIDed partitions and then LVM on one of the
RAIDed partitions.

Let me know what you think needs to be done before this can go in.

--
Simon  [ huggie@earth.li ] *\  "1 girl was just abducted." - Mulder  \**
****** ]-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-[ **\        "Kidnapped." - Scully "Potato,  \*