Re: ppp-udeb debconf translations and D-I "levels"

On 15/07/06, Frans Pop <aragorn@tiscali.nl> wrote:
On Saturday 15 July 2006 09:40, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Recent ppp package versions have bringed an enhanced ppp-udeb package
> which allows configuring a PPPoE connection for the installer. Thanks
> a lot for this work.

I have not really seen any test results for the latest version of the
package. How does it work now? Is the system also correctly set up to use
PPPoE after the reboot?

The system, in my last tests before my vacation, was  not left in a
correct state although I was confident they should have. The
installation was done over pppoe correctly on my setup.

I am not sure I will have the time (in the near future) to investigate
why the system was not set properly, becauseI will move to Bucharest
soon and I am not sure when I will have everything set in place again
to make it possible to work at home.

> This definitely seems to be a very interesting feature. I don't know
> whether Frans will be OK to include it as a more "standard" component
> of D-I (currently, being optional, it has to be explicitely added when
> using D-I at medium priority) but this seems quite likely to happen at
> some moment.

I'm not sure.
Including it by default also means pulling in the dependencies (total
installed size ~0.5 MB).
More importantly, running the menu item included in the udeb [1] currently
generates a huge error if no concentrators are found and leaves my
network configuration completely broken afterwards (running netcfg again
does not fix it).

The network configuration, in case the concentrator is not found,
should not be affected. It is true that currently ppp-udeb does not
provide "configured-network", although it should.

It is strange, you say that running netcfg does not fix the thing, it
should leave the thing untouched.

It seems to me that the changes also make the new version of the udeb less
suitable for installations using a "real" modem. However, I'm not sure as
I've never tried an installation using a real modem.

Using a real modem was never, AFAIK, a target for the udeb. I feel
that making the ppp-udeb detect and work correctly for both pppoe and
real modem would need a ppp-connection-detector-udeb. The logic inside
the postinst of ppp-udeb is already too hairy.

From the reports we have received over time PPPoE is only needed by a
relatively small number of users. A better option is probably to properly
document things in the installation guide and the FAQ.

I was wondering, can a module loading be commanded via a boot
parameter? That would simplify the ppp-udeb loading sequence a lot.

The udeb probably could be improved by first asking if the user is using a
real modem or wants to use PPPoE and then proceeding accordingly.

Probably, but plain modem functionality is not implemented at all in
the postinst, ATM.

If the udeb is now targeted primairily at PPPoE installations, Marco
should probably change its short description as the udeb is still listed
as: "Point-to-point Protocol (PPP) daemon"

By hand a ppp connection could be set. That configuration should be
copied in the target, as the code is written now (and as it should
work ;-)

But you are right, is not doing exactly that, setting automatically
any PPP connection, just PPPoE ones.

--
Regards,
EddyP