Re: ppp-udeb debconf translations and D-I "levels"

On Saturday 15 July 2006 09:40, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Recent ppp package versions have bringed an enhanced ppp-udeb package
> which allows configuring a PPPoE connection for the installer. Thanks
> a lot for this work.

I have not really seen any test results for the latest version of the
package. How does it work now? Is the system also correctly set up to use
PPPoE after the reboot?

> This definitely seems to be a very interesting feature. I don't know
> whether Frans will be OK to include it as a more "standard" component
> of D-I (currently, being optional, it has to be explicitely added when
> using D-I at medium priority) but this seems quite likely to happen at
> some moment.

I'm not sure.
Including it by default also means pulling in the dependencies (total
installed size ~0.5 MB).
More importantly, running the menu item included in the udeb [1] currently
generates a huge error if no concentrators are found and leaves my
network configuration completely broken afterwards (running netcfg again
does not fix it).

It seems to me that the changes also make the new version of the udeb less
suitable for installations using a "real" modem. However, I'm not sure as
I've never tried an installation using a real modem.

From the reports we have received over time PPPoE is only needed by a
relatively small number of users. A better option is probably to properly
document things in the installation guide and the FAQ.

The udeb probably could be improved by first asking if the user is using a
real modem or wants to use PPPoE and then proceeding accordingly.

If the udeb is now targeted primairily at PPPoE installations, Marco
should probably change its short description as the udeb is still listed
as: "Point-to-point Protocol (PPP) daemon"

[1] "Configure and start a PPPoE connection"