Re: stagger forced fsck on reboot

On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 06:10:04PM +1000, Drew Parsons wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 09:57 +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> > On Monday 19 June 2006 08:40, Drew Parsons wrote:
> > > [ change the force-fsck mount behaviour ]
> >
> > My first reaction is that this falls under the header of "tuning to be
> > done by the system's administrator based on personal preference".
>
> I think I'd want to make a "but think of the children" response to that.
> Of course the sysadmin can change it afterwards to whatever they want
> to.  But what sort of experience do we want to provide for our less
> advanced users?  It's not reasonable to ask them to change the defaults
> for something like this.

IMNSHO is the way to go, is to educate users
We can learn laptop-users to do

    shutdown -Fr   # Force fsck and reboot

to reset the mount counters. They will find a way to schedule it.
Example given: force fsck while packing for a bussness trip or
each second monday during lunch.

> So the question comes down to "what set of defaults provides the nicest
> experience for less confident users?"  Will it be nicer for them if we
> provide an arrangement that can occasionally reduce their reboot time?

I think people should think for themselfs.
And forsee that staggered mount counters will hinder
forced file systems checks.

Cheers
Geert Stappers