Re: This is getting ridiculous ...

On Fri, Jun 16, 2006 at 11:24:34AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> There is *NO* technical reason which warrant his action, and the only reason
> he does it is to humiliate and punish me.

You're the only one here who thinks that's a punishment, let alone
"humiliating". If you would like to setup your own subversion repository
and humiliate or punish Frans by not giving him access to it, you're
welcome to do so.

Personally, I don't think Frans would care about that because I don't
think he would see it as punishment or humiliation; but then, I don't
think you should see not having access to the d-i subversion that way
either. I don't have access to it either, and I don't think that makes
me worse as a person.

The only time someone's been had their commit access revoked from a
project before that I can think of was Daniel Stone when he uploaded X 4.3
to unstable. In the end, it's just the svn admin's call who gets access
and who doesn't, and there really isn't anything more to it than that.

> And, how long will it last ? how long will frans reject any effort i make, and
> spring about the most minor of comments ?

However much effort you've put in, the only result has been to
continuously demand that Frans give you access again, or that someone
else make Frans give you access.

> No, i don't need to regain Frans's thrust,

Please, the word is "trust". No "h". Or use the word "confidence",
it's near enough in meaning, and similar in French iirc.

And while you're certainly correct that you'll never regain his trust
if you keep acting the way you have been, it's entirely your choice to
act that way, and hence no one's fault but your own.

> And the longer this issue lingers unsolved, the worse it becomes.

The issue is already resolved, you're just refusing to accept it.

> You would not accept this, there is enough
> people throwing insults at me on irc, or engaging in random stuborn flamewars
> in debian, that there is no right for you or anyone to suggest that i should
> be submitted to it.

In February and March, I did the work that was blocking amd64 getting into
main -- that ended up including restructuring the way mirrors worked,
getting apt updated to work, making some patches to dak, and had to be
followed up by some a fair bit of time helping the release managers
nudge amd64 into testing. Had I been doing that my way, I probably
would have ignored the mirror changes, left the updated apt for ages,
and pushed amd64 into testing in a much quicker (and more broken) way --
but that's not the way we're setup: James and Ryan are also ftpmasters,
so their views on mirroring and how the ftp site is setup have to be
taken into account, and Steve and Andy's views on what happens to etch
likewise trump mine. So even though what they wanted was more work, and
not really terribly exciting for me, that's what ended up happening: just
as I want them to listen to my concerns when they do things, I make sure I
listen to their concerns when they do things.

And as far as insults on IRC, I've had a frontpage slashdot story the
other week with anonymous commenters calling me a "control freak" and
similar (and getting modded up to +5, Interesting for it) and another
article on distrowatch calling me "hot headed". So, please don't imagine
it's pitchforks for you, and roses and bunnies for the rest of us.

When you say that other people wouldn't submit to what you've been
through, you're simply wrong. That's not to say that you have to put up
with it -- you're a volunteer, so if you don't want to put up with it,
you can go elsewhere any time you like, which might mean working on
d-i in a different repository, working on a different part of Debian,
working on a Debian derivative instead of Debian, or ending your work
on Debian entirely. And while you might not appreciate it, we will be
sad to see you go, but it's still completely your choice.

What isn't your choice, though, is whether anyone else in the project
wants to work with you. If they don't, they're volunteers too, and they
don't have to. If you aren't willing to accept that, you will need to
find some way to deal with the consequences.

> Maybe. That said, in real life, if someone would have an authority over me
> like the one i mention, [...]

Frans has no authority over you; simply authority over the d-i subversion
repository.

Cheers,
aj